Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A Picture Of My Parents

Regular readers may remember that my mother's health hasn't been good. Unfortunately, she has rapidly declined over the last couple of weeks, and isn't doing well. Partly because of this, I wasn't able to write a blog post this week.

So I thought instead I'd post this photo of my mom and dad, taken some time in the 60s or early 70s:



I love this picture. I think my mom made this dress, since sewing her own clothes was a thing she did in her youth, even though by the time I came along -- and wanted to learn to sew my own clothes! -- she had decided this was somehow regressive and anti-feminist. I also love that my mom has both a drink and a cigarette -- my mom loved a Southern Comfort Manhattan, which is a crazy drink along multiple dimensions.

Thanks for your patience and kindness, loyal readers. I'll see you next week!

4 comments:

Daniel said...

What a great picture! They are both so cool. Your mother is amazing here. Wishing you all the best.

Tanner Librarian said...

And we all survived, I think? with the medical knowledge that we knew about at the time! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Carla Fehr said...

I am sorry to hear that your Mom is not doing well. Let me know if you would like to go out for a Southern Comfort Manhattan.

Linda Palmer said...

What a fantastic photo! Your folks look awesome. Love the details about the dress, the cigarette, the drink...and your mom's feminism! My older sisters all had handmade clothes but that was no longer happening by the time I came along either. Did you ever learn to sew? I'm sorry your mom isn't doing well. Take care Patricia